This scene still breaks my heart each and every single time I watch it.
Azula was a terrible, horrible person. She would have set the world aflame and laughed over the broken carcass of her brother.
But she was fourteen.
She was so ruined and twisted by her childhood and by her nation, driven to insanity by the expectations placed upon her.
Azula was bad and yet I can’t help but feel so terribly sorry for her.
"I don’t have sob stories like all of you."
SHE WAS FUCKING FOURTEEN WHAT
"My own mother….thought I was a monster.
She was right, of course, but it still hurt.”
actually, i think one of the shows strengths is that they didn’t shy away from what a horrible tragedy this was. even though she was clearly a villain and did unspeakably awful things, this scene was still framed as sad. there was no celebrating- they just look at her sadly.
the music for the battle that leads up to this moment is sad too- it’s an epic battle, visually probably one of the biggest things done in the entire series, and they could have played it with thumping, energetic, dangerous music. but instead it’s quiet and somber. because the whole scenario is heartbreaking, and they know it.
i think the fact that a kid’s show had so much respect for it’s viewers and their ability to understand the complexity of this situation is what makes avatar great.
Katara appreciation time:
- Can we talk about how she learned all her water-bending mostly by herself?
- Can we talk about her never ending ingenuity throughout the series?
- Can we talk about how she is only 13 and was able to defeat both a fire master (Azula) and a water master (Hama)?
- Can we talk about her pity towards the man who killed her mother?
- Can we talk about how she never stopped caring for her friends and family even in the worst situations?Say what you want about Katara, but she is the best role model/friend you could have had in the entire series. She had always kept it together even when she lost her mother and when Aang had his issues.
#LOGIC 101 BY SOKKA #omg can you just picture older kataang #during like aang’s first anniversary with katara #he doesn’t know what to get her #so he goes to sokka for advice right #and sokka #being sokka #says something sokka-ish #like ‘A NEW BOOMERANG’ #’because it has the word ‘aang’ in it!!1!’ #and aang’s like ‘omg BRILL-I-ANT sokka you genius child bless’
Is it possible to be a fan of a fandom?
Reblog every time
I love this so much
I’m not even in this fandom
I made a tumblr to reblog this gif. Life complete.
ALWAYS REBLOG WATER TRIBE
And the award for best cosplay ever goes to
You know what? I’m pretty smart
I should be on the…………..
Seriously, this was made by teenagers in their spare time because they were bored and it’s still better quality than the movie that took millions of dollars to make.
forbidden from one another
a war divides their people
and a mountain divides them apart
build a path to be together
yeah i forget the next couple lines but then it goes
THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS
SECRET SECRET SECRET SECRET TUNNEL